Your work as a locksmith would typically include a range of things. Subject to but not limited to:
- One of them is fitting locks to doors and windows – this can be very tricky but with practise you will get it!
- Installing, selling, servicing and repairing locks and other security devices. This is fun and very challenging too – don’t give up!
- One great skill is cutting copies of keys and making new keys. A real tradesman’s job.
- Fitting combination locks and timing devices to safes. You will feel like the guys in the movies with this one.
- Another great aspect is learning how about repairing locks on motor vehicles
- You may need to work on and over the clock – providing a 24-hour call-out service to people locked out of their home or business. If you are afraid of work, don’t jump into this.
- It can be a 24 hour job. You will be providing an emergency service after break-ins, securing doors, changing locks and resetting security systems
- advising customers on the most suitable locks or safety devices for their needs.
You may also sell, install and maintain other security mechanisms and systems.
You could specialise in a particular area like repairing and key cutting for antique locks.